Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Sideboard central

I adore sideboards.  They are so beautiful and useful.  I stalk Craigslist for them, and pick them up whenever I see a decent price.   Here's a sampling of a few sideboards I've done...

I found this one at Mill 77 in Amesbury, MA (where I currently sell my own stuff!)  It was blocked by other furniture and covered in knick-knacks.  The price was right on the borderline; that is, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to sell it for much more than I was paying for it.  I decided to grab it anyway because it really "spoke" to me and it was just plain beautiful.  I adore this piece "as is"--without paint I mean.  The wood is gorgeous and I struggled with whether or not to paint it. In the end, I decided that it needed a facelift to make it more fresh and appealing to a modern homeowner.   I know that wood lovers will hate me for this one...



I painted this guy with 2 coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Coco. I then sanded the whole thing lightly with 180 grit sandpaper, pressing harder in spots that I was wanted to be more "distressed," such as on the corners of drawers, and carved or recessed parts. I finished it with Minwax clear wax.






















Next up is an old sideboard I scored on Craigslist for $40.  When I went to take a look at it, I realized why it was only $40--half of the knobs were either broken or missing, three out of 4 of the legs had a piece of wood missing, and some of the veneer was falling off.  Luckily the seller had kept the wood bits that had fallen off.  I decided to give it a whirl and took it home, knowing that this one would take a lot of TLC.


After applying wood filler to some of the missing veneer and wood gluing the legs back together, I painted it with Annie Sloan Coco (love that color) and waxed it with Minwax clear wax. 




















Here's a newer piece that I painted more recently.  It is an Ethan Allen sideboard that was put on the side of the road as trash! My boyfriend's cousin saved it from certain death (thanks Phil!)




















I painted this one with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Chateau Gray (which is more green than gray), then distressed and waxed it.  I also painted the original knobs with gold spray paint.





4 comments:

Candy said...

I love sideboards too.......especially the style of the first one here. They have such gorgeous legs and lines. All of yours turned out GREAT.
Now following you from PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com.
COME SEE ME.

The Elegant House said...

Thanks Candy!! I'm so glad you found me; I'm loving your blog!! Such gorgeous pieces. I am now following your blog. I wish you were closer to MA, I'd love to see your furniture in person!

Simply Simplisticated said...

GORGEOUS pieces! Im loving your color choice and jealous their not mine,lol just lovely great job!

joseph said...

Wow, those sideboards are fabulous.Sideboard is a perfect addition to every home, which looks bare otherwise and requires some sort of storage for all the extra things of your home.