Monday, July 9, 2012

First time using Mod Podge

I found a little raw-wood nightstand at a local thrift store.  It was super boring, but with a price tag of $5, I couldn't pass it up.  It was begging for a makeover.


I knew that I'd paint it, but I wanted to experiment with this piece a little.  I'd been wanting to try Mod Podge (decoupage) on furniture since seeing some really cool pieces that other people had done. 

I'd recently bought some beach-themed tissue paper in the $1 bins at Target.  There was something about the shell pattern on the tissue paper that I thought was really chic.  I decided to give it a try using Mod Podge to cover the drawer of the nightstand with tissue paper. 

I primed the nightstand and painted it with an off-white Valspar paint.  I did NOT paint the face of the drawer, though, because I figured that the Mod Podge would stick to the raw wood better. I measured the drawer and cut the tissue paper to fit.

 I then put a thick coat of Mod Podge on the drawer itself, as well as both sides of the tissue paper.  It was basically saturated with glue.  It took a couple of times for me to line it up perfectly, so I had to peel the tissue paper back and start again.  When I got the perfect fit, I smoothed out all the air bubbles.  The finishing touch was a starfish knob!






No comments: